Fact Check: TTE was not electrocuted by cell phone but by a live wire touching his head
The video was shared on Facebook with a caption, “A ticket inspector died after being electrocuted by his cell phone while standing on the platform. Do not cross the yellow line.”
Earlier this month, a travelling ticket examiner (TTE) was electrocuted at the Kharagpur railway station in West Bengal. The victim was hospitalized for treatment at the Kharagpur Railway Hospital. The CCTV footage of the incident went viral on social media. Users shared the footage claiming that the TTE was electrocuted by his cell phone.
The video was shared on Facebook with a caption, "A ticket inspector died after being electrocuted by his cell phone while standing on the platform. Do not cross the yellow line."
Upon watching the video closely, we can notice that the man is neither talking on his phone nor does he have it in his hand. We see a sudden spark hitting him which leads to his fall. This indicates that the man was not electrocuted because of his phone.
A reverse image search led to finding the same video shared on Twitter by Railway officer Anand Ruppanagudi dated December 8, 2022. The tweet reads: "A freak accident— a long piece of loose cable, taken by a bird somehow came in contact with the OHE wire and the other end came down and touched a TTE's head. He suffered burn injuries, but out of danger— at Kharagpur station yesterday afternoon!" Here the cause is clearly mentioned as "long piece of loose cable …. touched a TTE's head."
Several media outlets reported about the incident and shared the same video. Here too, all reports stated that the TTC was electrocuted after coming in contact with a live wire. An article in India Today reads, "A railway official suffered burn injuries after he was electrocuted by a live wire at Kharagpur railway station in West Bengal." Times Now News describes the incident in the following manner: "Man is chatting with someone on the platform with his back to the tracks. A live wire falls loose from behind him and touches him."
Thus, it is evident that the TTE was electrocuted when a live wire touched his head and not because of his phone. Thus, the claim is misleading.